All throughout high school I wasn’t one to wear much make up. My dad thought it wasn’t necessary (major eye roll). Then came college and I wanted to try the whole makeup thing out. So I found my way on YouTube to watch makeup tutorials. […]
Are you currently trying to decide whether you want to take a cruise or stay at a resort on an island? If so, read on as I give you my personal pros and cons of each.
I’ve personally done both – a cruise twice and resorts on different islands numerous times. I think it all comes down to how you want to spend your holidays. Ask yourself these three questions to start off:
- How much money am I willing to spend?
- What does your ideal vacation look like? Is it action packed with activities or relaxing?
- Laying by the pool or the beach?
The answer to these questions will help you when deciding on which is the better alternative.
Cruise Line: Norwegian – Epic
Ports: Naussa, St. Maartens, St. Thomas
- Multiple travel destinations!!! I would say this is the #1 reason as to why I enjoyed the cruises. I got to explore three different islands in one trip. Although they were only day trips, it still got us off the boat to adventure of and see what the islands had to offer. Another great thing about this is that it gives you an idea of whether or not you would want to return to the island for a full trip. For instance, we had so much fun in St. Maarten that I would definitely return for a full week long trip.
- Activities: Our cruise ship had a lot to do when we were days at sea. Nightly entertainment (and more than one to choose from), bowling alley, water slides, tennis/basketball courts, pools, BARS. My favourite was the duelling pianos. If you like pub settings with good music and even better drinks, you’ll love this.
- Food: there’s so many restaurants to pick from and every one I went to the food was good. I know some people find resort food very bland but the food on the cruise ships were delicious. Especially the breakfast buffet & ice cream bars.
- Cost: I wouldn’t say the cost of booking the cruise is the deal breaker but more so the hidden costs. Unlike resorts, drinks are not included unless you buy one of their packages, which is usually overpriced. You have to use the cruise’s “card”, which is linked to your credit card. It makes it so simple, want something? Just swipe. The only downfall is you don’t realize how easy it is to spend a lot of money. You almost feel like you’re using a monopoly credit card.
- Time Limits: Your time is limited at the ports, which if you’re someone who likes to take their time and explore could be a major downfall. The days can seemed rushed and you may feel like you didn’t really get enough time to take the island in for all it’s worth. Also, if you’re anything like my parents – always fashionably late – beware. I’m sure they were one of the last people to make it on the cruise and were mere minutes from being left there. My sisters and I did get a good laugh though as we watched them run on the dock from our balconies.
- Sea Sickness: I was fine throughout my entire trip. I actually didn’t even realize we were on a ship, that’s how smooth it seemed but for some who easily get sea sick this can be an annoyance and put a damper on your entire trip. No one wants to be laid up in your room all week long.
- Room Sizes: to me this wasn’t a deal breaker since I didn’t spend much time in my room but if this is a factor to you just know that cruise ship rooms are tiny in comparison to resorts. However, if you do go for a cruise get a balcony room! It’s worth the extra dollars to wake up and sit out on your balcony. The views are priceless TRUST ME!
Islands: Dominican Republic, Cuba, Bahamas, Mexico (not an island but resort)
- What Wallet?! All inclusive resorts are the best because you don’t need to worry about a damn penny since the costs are all up front. Leaving your hotel room with nothing but your room key and sunglasses is the best feeling ever. Want some food? Treat yourself! Want a drink or 10 at the pool bar? Girl, treat yourself!
- Pool Bars: who ever thought of putting a bar right in the pool… genius. That’s all I need to say about this. It speaks for itself!
- Food: Out of all the resorts I’ve stayed at the food has been delicious! Plus I love that I can go to the buffet any time of the day and stuff my face with nachos and guac. Also, resorts usually offer a variety of food selection from Italian, Mexican, Japanese, American, etc.
- Beach: unlike a cruise, you get to enjoy the beach every single day if you choose to!
- Emergencies: ok no one wants to be negative Nancy but if for some reason you needed to return home it is a lot easier coming from a resort compared to a cruise where you may not be at port for a few days.
- Land Locked: unlike cruises, wherever you decide to visit is literally where you’ll be staying all week. You won’t be visiting other islands (duh).
- Entertainment: although they do have nightly shows at resorts, the level of sophistication and diversity is not up to par like the cruise ships most of the time.
All inclusive resorts for the win! I like being able to tan by the beach in the am, play some volleyball then wander over to the pool bar in the afternoon. I also like that I can leave the resort and go explore what the island has to offer without feeling rushed. I have all the time in the world, I’m on vacay mode!
Let me know what your pros and cons are. Are we on the same page? What’s your favourite way to vacation?
I’ve been lusting to travel to Europe since my college days. Even to this day, I could spend hours scrolling through travel destination pictures on the ‘gram. I’ve done your typical Florida trips and winter break islands but I wanted something bigger and better. So […]
Best Fragrances of all time (according to your girl) so wake up and smell the roses ladies!
Don’t you just love when you wrap yourself in a scarf and you can smell the last perfume you had on it? One of my favourite things. Below I’ve listed my top fragrances so if you’re looking to add to your collection check out my must-haves:
Valentino – Valentina Pink Eau De Parfum
My all-around (day or night) go to perfume. I cannot get enough of this smell. It is perfect. If there’s any perfume I am getting questioned about or complimented on most it is this one. Although it is a floral scent, I find it really differs from your basic flower perfumes. In my opinion, a lot of floral fragrances smell basically the same but not this one! To me this is more an exotic floral fruity fragrance. Also, since it is an Eau de Parfum the smell definitly lasts longer and is stronger.
Notes: strawberry, blackberry, peony, rose, amber, praline.
Burberry – Brit Sheer Eau De Toilette
This perfume is often used in my day time rotation. It’s a romantic, light, fruity scent that has people complimenting me all the time. It is strong enough to be picked up on but light enough to not be the person that people are commenting “wow she put too much perfume on.” Burberry did a great job making a classy & fresh scent, I really do love this one. My only complaint would be that its staying power isn’t as great as other fragrances in my collection.
Notes: bright yuzu, pineapple leaves, mandarin, grapes, pink peony, peach blossom, creamy amyris woods, and white musk.
Giorgio Armani – Acqua Di Gioia Eau De Parfum
My all-time favourite day time perfume. If you like soft clean perfumes this is a must. It is such a refreshing, aquatic smell, different from your regular floral or musky scents, which makes it really stand out from the others. For some reason every time I wear this perfume I get island retreat vacation vibes. I’m not sure if it’s the aquatic style of it but I am not complaining at all!
Notes: mint, brown sugar, lemon, jasmine, peony, pink pepper, cedar wood, labdanum
Yves Saint Laurent – Black Opium Eau De Toilette
I picked up this perfume based on what seems like everyoneeeeee’s suggestions. Everyone was right, YSL came through on this one! This fragrance is for everyone’s inner seductive bad ass persona. I don’t even know how to really describe the smell just know it is fabulous. You will always have someone ask you what you are wearing when you use this perfume, I guarantee.
Notes: coffee accord, orange blossom, patchouli essence, and cedar wood essence.
Jimmy Choo – Eau de Toilette
Another favourite night-time fragrance. My best description of it would be sweet yet spicy. It embodies sensual, classy, luxurious vibes. I find at the first spray it could come off as a strong overbearing smell but its staying power is great and the scent does tone down after the initial application leaving it the perfect balance of woodsy and rich. It is definitely a confident woman’s perfume.
Notes: Orange and pear nectar, tiger orchid, toffee, Indonesian Patchouli.
What are your favourite perfumes? Let me know so I can test some more out. You can never have too many!
Just your average Canadian girl born and raised in a little city of 40,000 – who made the move on up to the capital of Canada. I’m officially a quarter century old and I’m more eager than ever to explore all that life has to offer.
When I’m not stuffing my face with raspberry cheesecake, napping with my Frenchie Bougie, or shopping online, I’m being a total business nerd. My day consists of controlling the finances and managing the operations of three family run-companies.
But in the mean time, I’m taking a 9 to 5 hiatus. I’m pinning my next destination, filling up my shopping cart, and then I’m hoping on a plane to explore this beautiful world!
Follow me through my days, weeks, and months of adventure.